Skip to main content

The Cemetery Tour Saga Continues......

As many of my followers will know I was conducting tours for over a year at a local pioneer cemetery at Minmi in 2011 - 12 with a great little following, until it was ceased a few months ago after I received complaints by some people who voiced their concerns at such an activity.
These people suggested terrible things that I was allegedly allowing my clients to do while on site such as playing on top of the graves, rubbishing and drinking alcohol on the site and generally disrespecting the memory of those buried there.
If you had been on one of my tours there you would know how false these accusations are.
I chose to shut down this activity down, due to some bad publicity egged on by one local journo and because I never meant to cause anyone grief, despite most of the local people being in favor of me continuing.

I had not been back to this site since then.
Today I was out visiting some local cemeteries and decided it was time I paid my respects to those souls I felt I had abandoned.
When I arrived at Minmi this afternoon I found a huge pile of rubbish that someone had just dumped in the car park to greet me.
An old tv set, food, garbage.
There was some tape put around the pile saying that it was illegally dumped and being investigated.
This rubbish was strewn everywhere.
The site itself was overgrown with weeds taller than I had ever seen them and one headstone had come out of the ground and had cracked into pieces. This headstone was dated 1871.
It broke my heart.I hoped it hadnt been pulled out by vandals.
When we were on site we did keep an eye on the place.


I was then given the opportunity to work at another local cemetery, although it took over six months of negotiations.with, again the approval of the local volunteer committee but now the local Council overseeing that site has placed a fee on my tours which I must pay them and this is making the whole situation too costly.
I had also made a commitment to give a donation to the volunteers from each tour at the cemetery to help them pay for the work that they do in the upkeep of this site - but now with the fees having been increased it looks like I will have to rethink this whole thing.
As much as I think there is value in bringing to light the important history of these two sites and bring people in to learn about them in a guided, respectful ( contrary to what some may say ) and safe way it looks like I am just being met with obstacles.
Such a shame.


Comments

  1. Cemeteries, graveyards, and burial grounds are wonderfully historic locations. I'm sure that on one of your tours, the chances of me learning some history is much higher than seeing a ghost.

    Though these areas are not as haunted as lore would lead one to believe, you can learn about genealogy, art, art, literature, horticulture, and many other things on their revered grounds.

    As you noted, these locations can be problematic when it comes to associating them with paranormal activity.

    But seriously, if there are people hanging out in the graveyard causing problems, that's the towns problem and certainly not yours.

    We cannot rule out the remote possibility that you have an powerful negative influence on the entire area. Perhaps you attract things like old television sets, food, and garbage.

    Looking back on it deciding to use ATVs and offering $3.00 pitchers of margaritas wasn't such a good idea, but we live and learn.

    But seriously. What a shame! Your tours generate the most appropriate type of attention to these types of places and contribute a way more powerful positive effect than anything negative.

    I can tell from your immensely interesting blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true Renata good post! Minmi has always had a reputation of ghostly goings on. Way before any tours were out there. Solid professional businesses keep an eye and presence on a place which helps keep the vandals away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys for your positive responses. None of us would ever dream of being disrespectful on sites such as these.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Diary of a Ghost Hunter - The Wallacia Hotel

  We were given the opportunity of staying overnight at the Wallachia Hotel in Western Sydney. The hotelwas officially opened on December 3rd 1937. During the Second World War the hotel was used as the Army headquarters for radiopyhysics. I had never been to the Wallacia Hotel before, but, my ghost hunting gal pal Anne, had been there about 5 years ago with a group of Paranormal Investigators that she was working with at the time. We arrived and we were greeted by Craig, the night manager, who welcomed us with open arms.  Craig recognised Anne from the last time she had visited.  Anne asked whether any spooky things had been happening over the last few years. Craig said that he always thought that there was something a little bit weird going on late at night. Over the last few months everything had changed as the Hotel had been very much affected by the COVID lock downs This was a huge hotel with quite an interesting history even though in the whole scheme of things the hotel was only

Lemon Tree Passage Ghost - Local legend is alive and well

Lemon Tree Passage  is a suburb of the Port Stephens local government area in the Hunter Region of New South Wales, Australia, located at the end of the Tilligerry Peninsula and surrounded by the waters of beautiful Port Stephens .  Ever since I can remember there have been a few urban legends about a stretch of highway named Lemon Tree Passage Road. The story begins when a motor bike rider and his pillion passenger died after colliding with a four wheel drive killing both. This seems to be the source of the ghostly lights and apparition. These sort of events don't stay quiet in small townships. Stories spread fast often not ending up like they started. Every so often this urban legend makes a comeback with a number to people tempting fate and poking the ghost rider.             A memorial to Dale Dickens on the Lemon Tree Passage Road / Pic: Robert Mckell Source:The Daily Telegraph The  Lemon Tree Passage ghost  first made headlines in 2010 after drivers cau

Diary of a Ghost Hunter - Lochinvar House in the Hunter Valley NSW

 I have just spent a weekend at the historic homestead - Lochinvar House, just outside of Lochinvar in the NSW Hunter Valley. This was, for me, a team bonding opportunity and a chance to get away from worries associated with Covid. It was also where members of my ghost hunting volunteers got to head onto this site before we invited in the public, to check out the stories of ghosts and alleged hauntings. Now, as usual, not all historic houses are haunted. And even more intriguing, it seems that not all historic houses are haunted for all the families that live therein. Many times I have heard this - one family may experience seeing and hearing strange things happening at all hours of the day and night. Yet, another family will move in and.....nothing! And so it is.. Why is it like this? I don't know. Do the ghosts pick us? Lochinvar House was built back in the late 1820's by Leslie Duguid who was granted a enormous amount of land in 1822. He was one of the first land owners in N