Skip to main content

The Seance - The Preparation (A fictional story)



Darkness enveloped the room.
Total darkness.
So black I could not see my hand in front of your face.
I could feel the pounding of my heart as my hands were taken up on both sides by the people sitting on either side of me.
They were held tight and placed on the big round table that the group was sitting around.
Silence and an air of expectation filled the room.
Both of the people on either side of me had been to many of John's seances.
They assured me that it would all be OK.
They were laughing and giggling and making light of what was to come.

"You will be amazed!
Wait until spirit shows itself and be prepared to be touched on the head" said the older lady. She was filled with joy, as if the next 2 hours would be some sort of a holy experience.
I guess for her it was.
I didn't know what to expect other than what I was told before we had been moved into the room.

"Now love, remember...." she whispered, "don't move, as it can cause the medium to be hurt.
You must sit totally still and make sure that your feet are touching ours at all times. Do NOT for any reason, break the circle or it could get really scary for all of us".

I thought to myself...so is this supposed to be making me feel better?

It wasn't.
I shook my head in a 'yes' but then I remembered that we were in darkness and she could no  longer see me so I piped up a quiet, 'OK'.

We had been prodded for illegal things before entering the room - stuff like hidden voice recorders, cameras etc and were told that all things metallic could cause us to burn if hidden next to our skin when spirit starts to take in our energies to manifest.

We had to remove ALL metallic items - even our bras if they had metal wires.
No jewellery was allowed and shoes were removed.
To make sure we could go into the seance room we were scanned with a mini metal detector.

Far out...all of this had set me on edge and I looked into the apprehensive eyes of some of the other 'first timers' who were wondering what they had let themselves in for.

For me it was about the experience.
I had heard about seances since I was a little girl.
Like all other activities that would lead to a connection with the other side it was thought of as a demonic activity, especially in my family, and the more I was told not to even entertain thoughts about such activities it only managed to peak my interest even more.

So here I was sitting between two regulars having my fingers squashed.
If I had been told not to move once, I had been told not to move at least twenty times.
It had become annoying and all I wanted was for it to all start.

There was a total of 15 people at the table which, from what I saw when the lights were on, was round, made from solid timber and did not appear to have any trap doors or funny bits that might allow someone to sneak up below it and pop up in the middle of it to move things about.

We were offered to check the room before proceedings began and two women put their hands up to go around and knock on walls, floors, etc to make sure that there were not any hidden entrances.

I don't know how you would tell anyway. They came back quite satisfied that there was no trickery involved.The room was in order.



Our chairs were not very comfortable so we were all told to fiddle about until we got ourselves settled because once we started we would only be allowed to move if spirit allowed it.

I could feel myself wanting to go to the the toilet.

I had already been - twice.

But...all of this build up of anxiety was caused my bladder to spasm.

We had been briefed as to what was going to happen and the first thing to expect was a lot of noise when spirit was about to enter the room.

 LOTS OF NOISE.

Things would be banged, rapping on the walls, furniture or items would be dropped or moved.

On the table there were a few items that glowed from within a box. They were painted with fluorescent paint. Apparently Spirit would take things out of this box from time to time and display its skills in moving them about.

We had also been briefed by the medium, John Harris.
John had come to Australia all the way from Ireland and was well known over there for his skills at physical mediumship which he had been performing to small groups for over 20 years.

John had a lovely manner.
Tall, muscular with a beard and mustache he had a lovely smile and his seemed to sing as he talked, as all Irish people do.
Some of the group seemed to be very familiar with him and proceeded to laugh and joke with him while us first timers all huddled in the corner looking like a group of deer in headlights.

John ran through the rules, again...
No moving, no touching Spirit unless your hand was taken to do so, no asking questions unless you had permission to ask and no stepping away from the table. Not only could it damage the medium in a physical way by breaking the flow of extruding ectoplasm but it could also allow for demonic entities to enter into the space.



Holy crap.

A fictional story by Renata Daniel
Watch out for the next part coming in a few days...what happens next?

 








Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Diary of a Ghost Hunter - The Wallacia Hotel

  We were given the opportunity of staying overnight at the Wallachia Hotel in Western Sydney. The hotelwas officially opened on December 3rd 1937. During the Second World War the hotel was used as the Army headquarters for radiopyhysics. I had never been to the Wallacia Hotel before, but, my ghost hunting gal pal Anne, had been there about 5 years ago with a group of Paranormal Investigators that she was working with at the time. We arrived and we were greeted by Craig, the night manager, who welcomed us with open arms.  Craig recognised Anne from the last time she had visited.  Anne asked whether any spooky things had been happening over the last few years. Craig said that he always thought that there was something a little bit weird going on late at night. Over the last few months everything had changed as the Hotel had been very much affected by the COVID lock downs This was a huge hotel with quite an interesting history even though in the whole scheme of things the hotel was only

Lemon Tree Passage Ghost - Local legend is alive and well

Lemon Tree Passage  is a suburb of the Port Stephens local government area in the Hunter Region of New South Wales, Australia, located at the end of the Tilligerry Peninsula and surrounded by the waters of beautiful Port Stephens .  Ever since I can remember there have been a few urban legends about a stretch of highway named Lemon Tree Passage Road. The story begins when a motor bike rider and his pillion passenger died after colliding with a four wheel drive killing both. This seems to be the source of the ghostly lights and apparition. These sort of events don't stay quiet in small townships. Stories spread fast often not ending up like they started. Every so often this urban legend makes a comeback with a number to people tempting fate and poking the ghost rider.             A memorial to Dale Dickens on the Lemon Tree Passage Road / Pic: Robert Mckell Source:The Daily Telegraph The  Lemon Tree Passage ghost  first made headlines in 2010 after drivers cau

Diary of a Ghost Hunter - Lochinvar House in the Hunter Valley NSW

 I have just spent a weekend at the historic homestead - Lochinvar House, just outside of Lochinvar in the NSW Hunter Valley. This was, for me, a team bonding opportunity and a chance to get away from worries associated with Covid. It was also where members of my ghost hunting volunteers got to head onto this site before we invited in the public, to check out the stories of ghosts and alleged hauntings. Now, as usual, not all historic houses are haunted. And even more intriguing, it seems that not all historic houses are haunted for all the families that live therein. Many times I have heard this - one family may experience seeing and hearing strange things happening at all hours of the day and night. Yet, another family will move in and.....nothing! And so it is.. Why is it like this? I don't know. Do the ghosts pick us? Lochinvar House was built back in the late 1820's by Leslie Duguid who was granted a enormous amount of land in 1822. He was one of the first land owners in N